Oh Christmas Tree!
Let the Holiday’s Begin!
Let’s celebrate the holiday season with family, food and holiday traditions. One of the most popular traditions is the Christmas tree! We want to help you make decorating the Christmas tree one of the most fun and memorable events enjoyed this year. Whether you’re going to choose your tree or digging it out of the closet, have some hot appies and decadent treats ready to go. Decorating and tree-trimming is busy and fun work and even more enjoyable when snacking on something delicious!
Choosing and caring for your Christmas tree
Choosing a live tree this year? Perfect! We’ve got some helpful tips to help make your tree last throughout the season.
Choosing the Perfect Tree
- Choose a healthy Christmas tree. Look for a healthy, green tree with the least amount of brown needles.
- Select a tree displayed in a shady location. Avoid picking from a sunny spot as these trees are already drying out.
- Run a few branches through your hands. The needles should be pliable and not fall off.
- Raise and drop the tree on its trunk a few times. You want to see the fewest amount of needles on the ground as possible.
Caring For Your Christmas Tree
- Trim the trunk. Make sure your tree has a fresh, straight cut across the base of the trunk to aid in water absorption.
- Make sure your Christmas tree always has enough water. Too little water can cause resin to form and will prevent the tree from absorbing water and it will dry out quickly.
- Remember to check the water level daily — it should always cover the cut end of the trunk. Refill as needed.
- Lowering the room temperature can also slow down the drying out process.
- Keep your Christmas tree away from heat sources like the fireplace, stove, air- ducts and sunlight.
Following these simple tips can make your Christmas tree last up to 5 weeks!
Decorate like a pro!
Have you often admired those beautifully decorated Christmas trees you’ve strolled by in shops and hotels? With these easy steps your tree will be the one you’re admiring!
First, choose a theme. Do you love traditional red and green with tons of lights and ornaments? Do you want a tree that reflects a magical winter wonderland or a whimsical old world Christmas? There are so many Christmas looks to choose from you may need to decorate a tree in every room!
After you’ve imagined what your tree will look like, the next step is to bring it to life.
- First, choose the location for the tree. If you have a live tree, make sure you’re showing off all the good sides. If you have an artificial tree, make sure all the branches are fluffed and shaped.
- Lights, lights and more lights. The lights are the first thing you need to do when decorating your Christmas tree. Start in the center at the base or trunk of your tree and work your way out on each branch either moving up or down. Hot tip: A power bar attached to the base of your tree is a great way to plug in your individual strands of lights.
- Choose the decorations. Many sets of ornaments include different shapes, finishes and designs while allowing for a cohesive design.
- Cluster your baubles. Sets of 3 baubles in different sizes adds visual appeal. Set some of the baubles deep into the tree for depth and interest.
- Next is ribbon, bows, berry garlands or anything with a texture. Layer over the tree and baubles to add more depth and interest.
- Finally the tree topper. A Christmas tree topper is a beautiful way to complete the look of your tree. Make sure to choose one that best fits your theme and the proportion of your tree, or make your own with left over ribbon, baubles and extra branches.
- Make sure your decorations are balanced.
- Finish with a traditional tree skirt or a rustic blanket or piece of burlap. The choices are endless-use your imagination!
Don’t forget the Western Family hot appies and decadent treats!
‘Tis the night to celebrate with amazing food. No time to cook? Don’t worry, Western Family has everything you need to make this family event memorable.
Visit our Flavours to Savour blog for some mouth-watering ideas!